Rabbits golf is more or less unique to Yorkshire. The Rabbits Section at Pike Hills Golf Club is a well-established section within the club and is for male members aged 18 and over with a World Handicap System Index of 15.0 and above who enjoy friendly, competitive golf, and an opportunity to play other courses in Yorkshire.
It gives members the opportunity to meet and play with other players of a similar standard and, most importantly, have fun taking part. Everyone is welcome to play on either a regular or occasional basis and there are lots of opportunities. It is an ideal way for new members to quickly find their feet within the golf club, make new friends and learn the merits of friendly weekend or weekday golf.
The Pike Hills section is one of 14 clubs making up the Harrogate Area Rabbits Golf Association (HARGA), which is one of 6 areas making up the Yorkshire Rabbits Golf Association (YRGA) consisting of 99 clubs.
The main Rabbits activities are:
- “Friendly” home and away matches against other clubs typically in North Yorkshire. such as Bedale, Easingwold, Malton & Norton, Masham and Thirsk & Northallerton to name but a few. Each match is followed by a drink and a sit-down meal with our opponents. Matches are scheduled for both weekdays and weekends to enable as many players as possible to have the opportunity to play.
- Internal matches against the Club Captain’s team and the Ladies’ section as well as Rabbits only competitions: the Rabbits Knockout Trophy, the Rabbits Stableford and the Millennium Trophy.
- Various HARGA and YRGA competitions.
- A Rabbits Captain’s Away Day, held at a course of the Captain’s choosing, for the highly prestigious Captain’s trophy. Usually this will coincide with an open day at the club we are visiting enabling us to take part in that competition as well.
- A Rabbits Open Day is generally held in July each year to which invitations are extended to Rabbits from other clubs.
The Rabbits season generally runs from April to September and whilst Rabbits golf is always competitive, the accent is very much on having fun.
There is no subscription to join the section and no cost to play in matches (other than the cost of the meal and drinks afterwards, typically £15). The Rabbits Open Day generates some income and if the section has a significant surplus in any one year, a contribution is made to the club. In recent years this has included support of the Juniors section and items specifically required around the course.
There is a Rabbits notice board in the men’s locker room on which details of matches and competitions are displayed. There is a post-box next to the noticeboard for such as entry forms and fees for competitions. In addition, there is a Rabbits mailing list to keep all members informed of upcoming events and results via email. If you wish to be added to the list, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
So, there you have it. Rabbits golf is the ideal way for the higher handicapper or beginner to make new friends in the golf club. Anyone joining the golf club is most welcome to come along and join the Rabbits, improve their golf, and have a great time in doing so.
- Captains Shotgun Competition 28th October 2023
- Rabbits and Bunnies Greensome 26th September 2023
- Rabbits V Bunnies 2023
- Rabbits AGM
- Safeguarding and protecting children
- WHS Video 4
- Worldwide Handicap System Privacy Notice
- York Union of Golf Clubs